Wednesday 17 August 2011

The Last Supper...

...well, not quite.

The idea was that I would go for a final, blow-out meal and then the diet would start the following day with bells on.   This was the idea.


The blow-out meal bit worked a treat!  My friends Uncle Ji (@vhatyoutalking), Angharad (@anglikebang) and I strolled around the corner from my office to have dinner at The English Pig where @JohnnieWannabe and @chef_tom_kneale treated us like princesses (sorry Uncle Ji - you are, of course, a PRINCE).  We were expecting a couple of piggy courses and a bottle of decent, but nothing out of the ordinary, wine to be honest.  What we got was this:


No, we were none-the-wiser either.  I, for one, was VERY excited as I love a tasting menu.  Johnnie brought us a bottle of Laurent Perrier to start us off and then this was delivered.


This is the Columbian Marching Powder.  I still have no idea what it actually was, but they tasted of thyme and rosemary and sesame and...something else.  Jesus wept.  It's a good job I'm not a food blogger, I'm crap at this.


Bread and butter, except that weird whipped stuff at the back that came out of a canister?  That'd be the bread.  Those balls?  Butter.  This was insanely rich and we could barely manage one each.


Proper food now (sorry gents).  Pigs head terrine aka Cheeky Monkey.  It was really good.  I love pig fat and this pig fat was all lovely and buttery.  Mmmmmmmmmm.


This was probably my favourite thing that we had.  It certainly isn't a tuna and sweetcorn butty.  It is, however, bass with a sweetcorn puree and a crab thing.  The crab thing was good.  The bass was delicious.  Also, why the hell haven't I ever thought to put sweetcorn with fish before?  It totally works.



PIG!  Oink oink oink!  Johnnie presented this to us as being "a bit like KFC".  WIN.  I freaking love KFC.  Actually maybe this was my favourite dish.  It was pork belly in a lovely crispy coating, fondant potato, there's a little lardon thing going on at the bottom there that was also delicious.  I'm very happy that this was on my Last Supper menu.

Chocolate soil with chocolate mousse and some red stuff.  Nice enough, but I was waiting for...


Rice f***ing pudding! (I promised myself I wouldn't swear on this blog, I'm such a potty-mouth in real life...this is potentially my Everest.)  This pudding was also a bit like Everest.  Stodgy, rich...total school dinners, but in a good way.  Uncle Ji didn't get near to finishing "his".  I polished off the lot.

There was cheese too but we forgot to take a picture of that - too busy scoffing.

After sitting and chatting to the extremely generous Johnnie and Tom for a while, Uncle Ji and I legged it over to Galvin at Windows (check out the view!) for margaritas and martinis.



And then I rolled home, placated a very p***ed off kitten (she hadn't really seen me for 3 days and this displeases her greatly) and fell asleep with good intentions of the diet starting the next day...

...which is where it went wrong...I have no food in the house.  I am totally disorganised, I am out most of this week and the weekend...ARGH.  This is not conducive to breakfasts of fruit and home-made lunches.  Total disaster.

So the plan is this: the diet starts again on Friday.  This was always going to be my weigh in day, so it actually works a treat.  On Thursday evening I'm going to get out my granny wheelie-trolley and head to the shops.  Any food ideas for the upcoming week will be gratefully received!

P.S. Tom and Johnnie - thanks again for an amazing evening.  We loved it.

P.P.S. Photos were all taken by @anglikebang except the chocolate soil and the Galvin at Windows view, which were taken by @vhatyoutalking.  They have better phones than I have.  If anyone would like to give me an iPhone 4, I wouldn't chuck it in their face.  I NEED FLASH.

xx

12 comments:

  1. Omelettes. Good protein packed with whatever leftovers you have. Good way of upping your stealth veg. Good for you and cheap.

    Good luck for WI day.

    xSM

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as last suppers go, that's a pretty awesome one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultimate piggy respeck. And about a thousand points for humorous presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We totally rocked that last supper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want your Last Supper!
    Piggynice tastegood...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mrs M - I love eggs. LOVE THEM. In every form other than omelette. Have I never told you the Monterey/banana-and-sour-cream-omelette story?

    @ginandcrumpets - innit though? And totally unexpected. SUCH a treat. I'm very spoilt!

    @Shed - HIGH FIVE ME NOW. Thanks for the points, that's lovely!

    @Uncle Ji - I think you'll find that we rock everything.

    @Miss Whiplash - BEEFCAKE! Beeeeefcaaaaaake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuckling to myself thinking of the Monterey omletter - had forgotten that! Agree with you re omletters - don't geddit.
    Your last supper looks amazing. And weird. What the hell was bees and chistix??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! Older sis or eldest sis??! The omelette thing makes me sad - quick, easy, cheap...but YUCK. Can't do tortilla either. Bleugh.

    Bees and chistix...bees and chistix....say it out loud...cheese and biscuits! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Older but not eldest! I geddit now re the chistix thing. Clever. Or just daft.

    Tortilla I can just about do. But not my fave. Anything which involves a noodle is where I'm at right about now.........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever! (I didn't get it either. The others had to explain it to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that actually makes me think I might like to live in London....
    Okay healthy stuff... I've been trying to lose the baby weight and have found cutting out the majority of carbs and eating more veg then fruit has helped loads and I never feel bloated and full. I ate a marmite sandwich on Sunday night and felt minging afterwards.... I am making salads for lunch with ham, smoked salmon, crab sticks(!!) always with a boiled egg and having loads of fish or meat (not lamb too fatty sorry know you love it) with veg in the evenings. We grow a lot of stuff so I'm spoilt right now all the salad is homegrown as is chard, peas, beans, tomatoes, Carrots... Ummm I've never been a fan of sweetener but actually it makes you gain less weight than sugar so I'm eating low fat yogs & sugar free jelly. Whilst I agree the Dukan diet is awful what I did get from the book is eating oat bran I mix it with pouring yog for breakfast and it's so filling. Not sure if this is any help.... I'm not being as saintly as it sounds but I have lost weight :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right, we DO rock everything.

    ReplyDelete